dipped in white chocolate expectations with cardamom and cornflakes
2 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for tossing
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 ounces white chocolate, melted
2 cups crushed cornflakes
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the oranges. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the peel away from the fruit in wide strips, about 1 by 2 inches. Set the fruit aside for another use.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add the orange peels and let boil 2 minutes. Drain and rinse the peels in cold water. Repeat the boil, drain, and rinse process two more times. This will remove any bitterness from the pith.
- Fill the pot with 4 cups water and add the sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil and add the peels. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from the heat and let sit in the pot, covered, for at least 6 hours or up to overnight. The peels should be soft and completely macerated.
- Lay the peels out on a cooling rack to dry. Once dry, toss in sugar to coat.
- Mix the melted chocolate with the cornflakes and cardamom. Dip each slice of peel in the chocolate mixture. Chill on a parchment-lined baking sheet for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Quantity: 10 servings