3 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
4 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 large eggs
7 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
Heaping 3/4 cup flour
Heaping 3/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
Cheese and white chocolate cream
Scant 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cup white chocolate, chopped
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
Seeds from 1 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and sliced
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
- Prepare the dough. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, blend the butter and flour until crumbly. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, and eggs and continue blending until smooth. Separate the dough into 2 equal-sized balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one of the dough balls into a 12-inch-wide, 1/2-inchthick round. Lay it over a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate and cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Weight the paper with dry beans or pie weights so that the dough will not rise. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool, about 30 minutes. Do not turn off the oven.
- Prepare the nut crumble. Using a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until sandy in texture. Toss the flour with the hazelnuts, then add to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the crumble evenly over the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool, about 15 minutes. Keep the oven on.
- Prepare the cream. Bring the heavy cream to a boil and pour over the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Let sit until the chocolate begins to melt, about 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Add the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest and stir until well combined.
- Prepare the pie. Remove the parchment paper and beans from the baked crust. Sprinkle the nut crumble into the bottom of the pie then spread the cream over the crumble, working from the center to the edges of the pie plate. Top with the strawberry halves.
- Roll out the remaining dough ball until it is 1/2-inch thick. Gently lay it over the cream filling and strawberries and crimp the edges over the bottom crust to seal the pie. Cut a small decorative hole in the center of the crust to let out steam.
- Whisk the egg and water together and lightly brush the top crust with the egg wash. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Quantity: 6 to 8 servings