with Fifth Avenue milk chocolate maple syrup and red-berry Soho salad
1 cup milk
1 envelope dry yeast
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
Unsalted butter, for cooking
1 cup good-quality maple syrup
1 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon heavy cream
1 cup assorted fresh berries
- Make the pancakes. Warm the milk over low heat until just warm to the touch. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and let dissolve, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the flour, salt, and egg yolks into the yeast mixture until the batter is smooth and lump free. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside to rise in a warm place, about 1 hour.
- In the bowl of a sland mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites into stiff glossy peaks. Gently fold the whites into the pancake batter.
- Warm 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick omelet pan or griddle over medium-high heat until it foams and subsides. Drop in the batter by 2-tablespoonsized rounds and cook until the edges bubble and the pancakes turn golden brown, about 1 minute. Carefully flip the pancakes and continue cooking until golden brown but still soft in the center about 45 seconds longer. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to the pan as necessary.
- Make the topping. Bring the maple syrup to a simmer, then whisk in the chocolate and cream. Let cool slightly, then whisk until smooth.
- Serve the pancakes hot with assorted berries and warm chocolate maple syrup.
Preparation time: 0:25 minutes
Swelling time: 0:60 minutes
Total: 1:25 minutes
Quantity: 8 servings