10 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
6 large egg whites
Scant 2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
84 candied cherry pieces
4 bars dark chocolate, for shaving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 1 12-cup muffin pan.
- Whisk the yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until light yellow and custardy, about 5 minutes. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites and remaining sugar until it forms soft peaks.
- In a third bowl sift the flour and cocoa powder. Fold this mixture into the yolk mixture. Whisk in the melted butter and then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Scoop or pour the cake batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each tin three quarters of the way full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes before turning the mini cakes out onto a cooling rack. Cut each cooled cake horizontally into thirds, keeping all the parts of each cake together.
- With an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar into firm peaks.
- On a serving platter, place the bottom third of one mini cake, cut side up. Spread with a generous layer of whipped cream and place 3 cherries on top. Top with the next cake layer and spread with more cream, then add 3 more cherries. Place the top cake layer on top, spread an even layer of whipped cream on top and spread the cream all around the sides of the cake. Repeat with the remaining cake rounds. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the dark chocolate into a large shallow bowl. Carefully roll each cake in the chocolate peels. Decorate the tops of the cakes with a piped rosette of whipped cream and a last cherry.
Quantity: 12 individual cakes