dipped in milk chocolate therapy, pistachios, and roasted coconut
6 large egg whites plus 4 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
6 ounces milk chocolate, melted
1 cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped
7 ounces flaked coconut (about 2 cups), lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line large baking sheets with bakers’ Silpat or lightly buttered wax paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and 1 tablespoon sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat the whites into glossy stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until pale yellow and thickened to the consistency of cake batter, about 5 minutes. Beat in the lemon juice and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the flour mixture into the yolk mixture until just combined.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture, mixing until just combined. The mixture will be somewhat frothy and voluminous.
- Spoon the batter into a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe batter onto the prepared sheets to form the traditional ladyfinger shape (about 4 1/2 inches long.) Bake until puffy and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Dip the top of a cooled ladyfinger into the melted chocolate and set on a cooling rack. Sprinkle chocolate with chopped pistachios and coconut. Repeat with the remaining ladyfingers. Decorate with confectioners’ sugar.
Quantity: about 3 dozen ladyfingers