with ginger confit and romantic winter’s strawberry confiture
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips (1 to 2 ounces)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten, plus 1 for egg wash
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baker’s Silpat.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using your fingers or two knives, cut in the cold butter pieces until you achieve a sandy texture. Stir in the candied ginger and chocolate. Add the cream, egg, and vanilla, mixing until just combined.
- Place the dough on a cutting board and shape into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 triangles. Place the triangles on the prepared baking.
- Beat the remaining egg with 1 teaspoon water and brush the top of each scone with the egg wash. Bake the scones until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the oven and set the oven to broil. Sift confectioners’ sugar over the scones. Set the scones briefly under the broiler to brown, being careful not to let the sugar burn. Serve warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
Quantity: 8 servings