with edges dipped in magical chocolate and served with passion fruit reality.
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
7 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Pulp of 10 passion fruits
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or bakers’ Silpat.
- Using a hand mixer or the whisk attachment of a standing mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy. Continue beating while slowly adding the granulated sugar and then the confectioners’ sugar and salt. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Add the almond extract and continue beating until the whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks.
- Gently spoon the egg whites into a pastry bag fitted with a round tip or a plastic bag with a corner cut. Using a gentle squeezing motion, pipe the meringue out on the prepared sheets in kiss shapes, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Bake the meringue kisses for 2 hours, then turn the oven off without opening the oven door—doing so will let humid air inside, and the meringues won’t dry out. Let the meringues dry in the oven for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When the meringues are dry, melt the dark chocolate and let sit until completely cool. Dip one side of each meringue in the melted chocolate and set to dry on parchment paper or a cooling rack. Dust lightly with sifted confectioners’ sugar and serve with passion fruit pulp.
Quantity: about 60 small meringue kisses