of white chocolate, Irish Cream, and chic Italian espresso
1 cup heavy cream
9 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cups strong coffee or espresso, cooled to room
1/4 cup Irish Cream liqueur
3 large eggs, separated
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
18 large (4-inch-long) or about 40 small (2-inch-long)
Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Bring 1/2 cup cream to a boil then pour over the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Set aside until the chocolate begins to melt, about 1 minute, then stir the ganache until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the coffee and Irish Cream in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the salt and continue mixing on medium until the eggs hold soft peaks. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until the whites are glossy and hold firm peaks.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the yolks and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until thick and pale yellow, about 3 minutes. In another bowl, stir the white chocolate ganache into the mascarpone. Gently fold the mascarpone mixture into the egg yolks until just combined.
- In a clean bowl, whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream until it holds soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Finish by folding the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture until just combined.
- Briefly dip the ladyfingers one by one into the coffee mixture. Use half the ladyfingers to line the bottom of an 8 by 8-inch glass dish. Spoon half the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers, then follow with a second layer of coffee-soaked fingers. Cover with the remaining mascarpone mixture. Cover and chill overnight. Dust with cocoa powder just before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings