with generous extra cream of healthy happiness
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 pound dark chocolate, chopped
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons almond liqueur or other liqueur
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Bring the cream to a simmer and pour over the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Let sit until the chocolate begins to melt, about 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Beat in the butter and liqueur until thoroughly combined. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Scoop the chocolate with a mini ice-cream scoop or a teaspoon and roll into 2-inch balls, powdering your hands with confectioners’ sugar if necessary to keep the chocolate from sticking. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Prepare three shallow bowls: one with beaten egg, one with flour, and one with bread crumbs. Roll the frozen balls in each bowl: first in the egg, then in the flour, then in the egg again, and finally in bread crumbs.
- Let the balls rest for a few minutes in the refrigerator, then dip them again in all three bowls in the same order. Freeze the double-dipped balls for at least 1 hour.
- In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil to 375°F. Carefully fry the truffles, working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Quantity: 30 truffles